Basic SharePoint user profile info using a people picker
In this InfoPath video you'll see how you can use a simple technique to retrieve basic user profile information from SharePoint 2013 using a people picker control on an InfoPath form.
In recipe 72 of InfoPath 2013 Cookbook 2, you'll learn how to use a people picker control on an InfoPath form to retrieve basic user profile information from SharePoint 2013.
Get more solutions from InfoPath 2013 Cookbook 2 which is available on Amazon.com
Watch next video: Autonumber InfoPath forms submitted to a SharePoint 2013 form library
InfoPath demo video transcript:
Here I'm in SharePoint 2013 where I've already published an InfoPath form template to this SharePoint form library. So if I click new document to add a new form, you'll see that we've got a people picker control on the InfoPath form and two text box controls.
If you want to retrieve basic information about a user from his or her user profile, you can use a simple technique, which recipe 72 of InfoPath 2013 Cookbook 2 teaches you how to do, to retrieve that information.
For example, I've got Clovis here who is in the Accounting department and this is his email address. So if I use the InfoPath form to first search for Clovis, select him, and then click Display User Info, you will see that the email address and the department of Clovis are displayed on the form.
You can extend this recipe to include more information about a user. For example, we've got Jane Doe here who has a user profile picture, and this is her mobile phone number in addition to her department and her email address. And the same goes for John Doe. He has a profile picture with a mobile phone number in addition to his department and his email address.
So if I go to the extended solution, and then enter jane.doe, and retrieve her information, you'll see that her email and her department are being shown, in addition to her mobile phone number and her profile picture. And the same goes for John Doe. And this is John Doe's information.
Related InfoPath Demo Videos:
- Create InfoPath 2013 forms through SharePoint Designer workflows
- Auto-fill InfoPath fields with Excel data in SharePoint 2013
- Bulk export selected InfoPath forms to Word documents
- SharePoint Designer workflow loop through people picker
- Autonumber InfoPath forms submitted to a SharePoint 2013 form library
- Update an Excel spreadsheet when submitting an InfoPath form to SharePoint 2013
- SharePoint Designer 2013 workflow to loop through InfoPath repeating table
- Add validation rules to a people picker in InfoPath 2013
- Cascading multi-select list boxes with validation in InfoPath 2013
- Submit SharePoint list item to Excel workbook via InfoPath 2013
Copyright: This article may not be used on web sites (whether personal or otherwise), copied, disseminated, altered, printed, published, broadcasted, or reproduced in any way without an expressed written consent. The techniques demonstrated in this article may be used within any Microsoft InfoPath project. This article is provided without any warranties. Copyright for this article is non-transferrable and remains with the author.