Copy InfoPath control from one form template to another
Learn how you can copy a control from one InfoPath 2010 form template to another and then bind the control to a field in the Main data source of the new form template.
Copying controls from one InfoPath form template to another can save time. However, not all controls and their corresponding data or settings can be copied across InfoPath form templates. It all depends on whether the control contains data that is part of a view or not. If a control does not contain data that is part of a view, you won't be able to copy that control with the data it contains to another form template.
In the InfoPath video shown below, a drop-down list box that contains a long list of manually entered items is copied from one InfoPath form template to another. This is possible because manually entered items become part of the view on which the control is located. Had the drop-down list box been bound to a secondary data source, then you would have been able to copy the control, but not its data or bindings/settings.
In this InfoPath 2010 tutorial video, you learned...
- How to copy a control from one InfoPath form template and then paste it on another.
- How to rebind a control to a field in the Main data source of a form.
- How to set the item that is initially shown as selected in a drop-down list box control.
See more InfoPath 2010 tutorial videos »
Copyright: This article may not be used on web sites (whether personal or otherwise), copied, disseminated, altered, printed, published, broadcasted, or reproduced in any way without an expressed written consent of S.Y.M. Wong-A-Ton. The techniques demonstrated in this article may be used within any Microsoft InfoPath project. This article is provided without any warranties. Copyright for this article is non-transferrable and remains with the author, S.Y.M. Wong-A-Ton.
Related InfoPath Articles:
- Cascading drop-down lists with a repeating table using SharePoint lists
- How do I copy or transfer data between InfoPath forms?
- How do I copy contents from one Rich Text field to another?
- Move items between two InfoPath list boxes (no code)
- How to open an InfoPath form and template that were moved or copied